Cleft Lip and Nasal Reconstruction
with Auricular Cartilage Graft
San Joaquin Valley College
Will be written after essay is complete
Surgical Anatomy and Pathology
Along with reconstructing the lip and nose the child’s palate will be repaired as well. The palates function is a obtain a separation between the nose and mouth, this is significant when it comes to swallowing and speech. The anterior part, the hard palate, consists of the palatine processes of each maxilla and the palatine bones. It’s covered with mucous membrane. The hard palate is a thing horizontal bony plate made up of two bones from the facial skeleton. The bones are the palatine process of the maxilla and the horizontal plate of palatine bone, this palate is also involved in holding the upper teeth. On the anterior portion of the roof of the hard palate are the plicae, irregular ridges in the mucous membrane that help the movement of food backward towards the larynx. The posterior portion, the soft palate, is composed of muscle, mucous membrane, and fat. It terminates with the uvula at the fauces. The soft palate consists of five major muscles that work together to help function the mouths overall role. The tensor veli palatini muscle is involved in swallowing. Palatoglossus is involved in swallowing. Palatopharyngeus is involved is breathing. Levator veli palatini is involved in swallowing, and the musculus uvulae moves the uvula. The soft palate is moveable because it consists of muscle fibers sheathed in mucous membrane. This palate is responsible for closing off the airway and during sneezing it protects the nasal passage by diverting a portion of the excreted substance to the mouth.
The nasal cavity is divided by a vertical partition, the nasal septum, into a right and left side. The nasal spetum is made up of cartilage towards the front of the nose and bone towards the back. The boney septum is made up of four different bones: the perpendicular plate of the ethmoid bone, vomer, and the nasal crest of the maxilla and palatine bones. The nasal septum can possibly be pushed to the right of left side which in this case has happened during fetal development. The fetal development occurs during the first trimester of intrauterine life. The grooved middle portion, from below the nose to the upper lip
Facts about procedure
Expectations after procedure
Plastic Instrumentation set
• 4- towel clips, 3 ½ in.
• 4- Micropoint mosquitos, curved
• 4- Halstead mosqitos, curved
• 2- Halstead mosquitos, straight
• 4- Crile hemostats
• 2- Allis clamps, 6 in.
• 1- Littler scissors
• 1- Iris scissors, curved
• 1- Stevens tenotomy scissors, curved
• 1- Suture scissors, small
• 1- Metzenbaum scissors, fine tip, 5 ½ in.
• 1- Metzenbaum scissors, blunt tip, 5 ½ in.
• 1- Metzenbaum scissors, 7 in.
• 1- Mayo scissors, straight
• 1- Mayo scissors, curved
• 1- Bandage scissors
• 1- Regular, 4 ½ in.
• 1- Padgett, 4in.
• 2- Crile wood, 6 in.
• 1- Crile wood, 7 in.
• 2- Adson tissue forceps with teeth
• 2- Adson tissue forceps, smooth
• 1- Adson- Brown
• 1- Bishop- Harmon
• 2- DeBakey, 6in
• 2- Skin hooks, double-prong, medium
• 2- Skin hooks, double-prong, large
• 2- Skin hooks, single- prong
• 2- Senn retractors
• 2- Spring retractors
• 2- U.S. Army retractors
• 2- Knife handles, #3
• 1- Knife handle, #7
• 2- Beaver knife handles
• 2- Medicine cups
• 2- Freer elevators
• 1- Joseph elevators
• 2- Key elevators, small
• 2- Frazier suction tip, 8 Fr.
Rhinoplasty Instrumentation set
• 1- Vienna nasal speculum, small
• 1- Vienna nasal speculum, medium
• 1- Vienna nasal speculum, large
• 2- Single- prong skin hooks
• 2- Cottle or Joseph double- prong skin hooks
• 1- Fomon retractors
• 1- Cottle retractor
• 1- Converse alar retractor
• 1- Cottle knife guide and retractor
• 1- Aufricht nasal septum retractor
• 1- Cottle osteotome, 4mm
• 1- Cottle osteotome, 7mm
• 1- Cottle osteotome, 9mm
• 1- Cottle osteotome, 12mm
• 1- Cinelli osteotome, double guards, 10 mm
• 1- Silver osteotome, single guard, right
• 1- Silver osteotome, single guard, left
• 1- Freer septum chisel, straight, 4mm
• 1- Freer septum chisel, curved, 4mm
• 1- Ballenger V- shaped chisel, 4mm
• 1- Ballenger swivel knife, 4mm
• 1- Mead mallet, 8oz. head
• 1- Joseph nasal saw, straight
• 1- Joseph nasal saw, bayonet, right
• 1- Joseph nasal saw, bayonet, left
• 1- joseph rasp, cross serrations
• 1- Maltz rasp, double- ended, forward and backward
• 1- Crushing tissue forceps with teeth
• 1- Jansen bayonet dressing forceps
• 1- Takahashi forceps
• 1- Freer septum knife
• 1- Cottle septum elevator
• 1- Joseph periosteal elevator
• 1- Cottle cartilage crusher